SMIT ADVISORS cc FSP 44595, is completely independent from Smit & Kie Brokers (Pty) Ltd and has have a non-compete agreement with all Smit & Kie associated brokers who do life & investment business. Smit Advisors only assist clients where the broker specialises in short term Insurance only and a client needs assistance and it was agreed by the said broker.
1987 – 1993
Koos started his career in 1981 at Standard Bank working in all the departments ending as manager’s clerk in the advance department. Koos started his Insurance career in 1987 with Old Mutual as a financial planner. He qualified soon as large producer and went on to fulfil various positions i.e. Snr Financial Advisor, District Manager and Bank broker at Nedbank. From the outset Riekie was on his side assisting with the administration, finance and staff related matters.
1993 – Current
Koos & Riekie Smit Brokers cc were formed in 1993. The Company’s aim was to provide a one stop financial service to all their clients. In 1998 Koos successfully passed his the Securities Institute London exams and in 1999 The South African Futures Exchange Dealer examination “Dealer Certificate”. It was also the year the short term insurance division was separated and a new company Smit & Kie Brokers (PTY) Ltd was formed.
The brokerage name later changed to Smit Advisors to make provision for new brokers and to create a “Smit” house view on how financial & Investment planning advice must be given. Smit Advisors have developed their own estate & retirement planning tool which is easy to understand and to the point on how to address short comings.
Smit Advisors belief in partnering with professionals, hence the partnership with Sanlam Investment Managers to create a wrap fund known as “The Smit Sum Fund”.
In January 2015 their daughter Nadine, who married a Du Plessis, joined the company after she qualified as a chartered accountant.
SMIT ADVISORS is an Urban-class Life insurance & Investment brokerage dedicated to give personal attention to the needs of their clients.
SMIT & ADVISORS (Pty) Ltd consists of Broking the following:
- Life – Disability insurance
- Investments – Wrap Fund known as “The Smit Sum Funds”
- Private Share portfolio management
- Retirement planning
- Pension Fund management
- Medical Aid Cover
- Estate planning and drawing up of Last Will and Testament
The divisions complement each other to provide a complete service.
SMIT ADVISORS cc completely separated from Smit & Kie Brokers (Pty) Ltd who specialise in short term insurance.
Board of Directors
Whilst Koos is assisting his daughter Nadine Du Plessis (CA.SA) to take over the day-to-day running of operations, he continues to actively support the management team and expansion of the company. His experience gathered through previous cycles in the financial & insurance industry is invaluable as we navigate through the current patch of leaner years.
The internal organisation delivers good results in terms of efficiency and flexibility whilst allowing for adequate levels of control and management assisted by his wife Riekie Smit.
This structure will be maintained going forward.
SMIT ADVISORS currently operate in Limpopo & Gauteng provinces in South Africa.
- To create and to protect the financial wellbeing of all their clients
- To engage highly motivated and qualified personnel to provide the best service to our clients
- To obtain the best products at the right price and to continuously develop and train our personnel
- To stay ahead of changes in our industry
- To comply with regulated authorities
Smit Advisors’ strategy to deliver predetermined life & disability insurance cover and proven & tested investment planning methodology to our clients to ensure best possible financial outcome in case of death, disability or retirement is summarised as follows:
Pursuit of operational excellence
- Employ best practice planning methods
- Drive continuous operational improvement
- Employ best suitable technology
- Drive transformation
- Be environmentally responsible
- Create safe work environments
Develop our people
- Implement continuous leadership development
- Implement continuous training and skills transfer
- Empower employees
Accumulate quality workload
- Build a portfolio of top private & corporate clients
Build and protect our reputation
- Employ sound governance practices
- Quality, transparent and complaint reporting
- Positive stakeholder engagement
Corporate Social Investment
Smit Advisors is aware of its social responsibilities and believes it is crucial for businesses to play a positive role in the communities within which they operate. Smit Advisors Corporate Social Investment (CSI) strategy is to focus on the sick, elderly & education. In this way to assist the growing need of the needy.